Should a student file a personal income tax return?

A student may be required to file an income tax return.

If they are not required to file, there are many reasons for a student to consider filing a personal income tax return, which include:

  • GST/QST refund which can total almost $400 per year
  • Claiming tuition and education amounts, which can be transferred or carried forward
  • Income tax refunds
  • Property tax refund
  • Create RRSP room
For more information regarding Students and Income Tax Returns, click here.

« Back to all FAQ

News RSS

Transfer Pricing - CRA states that the cost of capital property does not become statute barred

(June 14, 2017) Generally transactions becomes “statute barred” in Canada after three years and...

» more

UHY Global Study: Capital Investments

(April 10, 2017) Canadian capital investment lags the world average, putting future Canadian...

» more

2017 Canada US Cross Border Tax Guide

(Jan 10, 2017) This guide provides an update of tax issues and trends involving the US and...

» more

Société de comptables
professionnels agréés •
Partnership of Chartered
Professional Accountants

759, rue du Square-Victoria, #400
Montréal, Québec, H2Y 2J7

+1 514 282 1836

UHY VICTOR UHY VICTOR LLP (the “Firm”) is a member of Urbach Hacker Young International Limited, a UK company, and forms part of the international UHY network of legally independent accounting and consulting firms. UHY is the brand name for the UHY international network. The services described herein are provided by the Firm and not by UHY or any other member firm of UHY. Neither UHY nor any member of UHY has any liability for services provided by other members.